With continuous evolution in the way people search, Google is putting more efforts than ever to optimize Featured snippets to help the user find information easily. Therefore, it is high time to embrace new strategies to achieve your SEO goals.
Are you an SEO expert looking to bring more traffic to the website and eventually more conversions? If yes, SEO experts at Logicloop Digital, one of the leading digital marketing agencies in Mumbai believe that getting featured in search engine snippets can be the game-changer at present and in future too.
Google regularly updates its algorithm and features in order to provide a better experience to the user. It is therefore not surprising that the search engine giant is experimenting with featured snippets for half a decade now.
Before we move any further, let’s first understand – What are featured snippets? and – Why it is relevant for SEO rankings?
Featured Snippets – When your search for anything in Google, short answers which Google shows in the results page are known as featured snippets. They are contained in a box, and it is significant here to note that these snippets appear above the general results.
Another highlight of featured snippet is that Google displays the page’s title and URL as well. This makes them different from the Answer Box as these do not contain any citations.
Features Snippets started showing up in Search results in January 2014, and it appears in the following forms:-
Featured snippet appears in a paragraph style usually when you search for a question on Google. The answer must be a 4 to 5 line paragraph answering searcher’s query.
The Senior SEO expert at Logicloop Digital says “The paragraph style featured snippets are the most common type that can be found when user search in Google. It accompanies images as well.”
In list style features snippet, the answer is shown in the list format which looks something like this:
For example, when you search for “Topics in Seo”, the list format will help the user much more than other styles.
It is also very common in search results page.
Table style featured snippet, as the name indicates appears in the form of a table. When you search for data or information which has multiple inputs, the table is always the best format for easy understanding. And Google knows it well.
Now that you know what snippets are, let’s delve into the details of why it is important to give special attention to them.
Why It Is Relevant For SEO Rankings?
Generally, it is the goal of every SEO company in Mumbai to rank the websites on the first page of Google search results. All the on-page and off-page strategies created by Search engine experts revolve around ranking the website on the ‘first position’.
Now since featured snippet appear above the websites on ‘first position’, it raised concerns such as:-
– Traffic to the top-ranked website would drop as users might find relevant information on the featured snippet.
– User may not even click on the URL of the page featured in the Search engine snippet as the user may not look for more information.
– The ‘position one’ website would become irrelevant.
And as it turned out, the traffic to the website is more or less good as users prefer to click through to find complete information on the URL included in the featured snippet. But, the ‘position one’ remained a concern.
According to an Ahref study, Google shows featured snippet for 12.3% of search queries. There are 50% – clicks on Featured snippet and 33% – clicks on ‘position one’ websites.
This is the reason why you should aim to get featured snippet and attain SEO goals.
What Are The Current Trends And The Key Takeaways?
*Well, the featured snippets are less than accurate results. In some cases, it is found that user searched for something and the answer wasn’t so much of a help. Nevertheless, Google is investing a lot on it.
*Another factor Google considers is the future of search and its evolution. Voice and Mobile are leading the way in this direction. Google wants to help users with the best information to appear in the featured snippet.
*As per recent studies, it is found that top 10 ranking pages usually get featured as snippets. So, you can continue to work for ‘page one’ position and work around the page a bit to get featured.
*Content will have to be optimized for multiple platforms.
10 Points For Optimizing Content For Featured Snippet
In order to optimize content for featured snippet, the following points can be considered in your SEO strategy:-
- First of all, find out keywords which are ranking on the first page and then, develop a strategy around.
- Competitor analysis is essential. See how the featured snippet answer works. Is it highly relevant and useful to the user? If so, how?
- While you create content, target long term keywords. It would be even better if it starts with questions like How, What is, Why etc.
- Make sure it is a concise and clear answer. It is observed that a 4 to 5 line paragraphs are effective.
- Keep the word count for each question brief – Not more than 50 words. Use headers to break up steps and lists too.
- Ascertain the right format for your information. It matters to Google because it makes the life of the user easier.
- Continue doing strong SEO On-page activities for the page you are targeting.
- Use high-quality images and videos on the page if you believe it will help the user.
- Understanding user intent for the query made will benefit you a lot while working on SEO strategies.
- Continue building authority with good backlinks.
In 2020, if experts are to be believed, we can expect more changes in searches, technology etc. Aim for the featured snippet to boost traffic to the website.
It is interesting to note that information based websites like education and finance are doing great in this regard. Do your research well and plan a content and SEO strategy to get featured snippets in search results. Follow the optimization techniques mentioned, and results will surely follow.
We hope this blog helped you better understand about featured snippets and its importance for SEO rankings at present and in the future. Do let us know what’s your take on it in the comment section below.
Logicloop Digital is one of the leading digital marketing agencies in Mumbai providing expert digital solutions and result-focused services to all kinds of businesses.